This recipe will make a large serving of vanilla mousse. It will keep in your fridge for several days. Tip – over time, the vanilla mousse will slowly harden (just like coconut cream will harden in a fridge). When the mousse is firmer, you can spoon it out onto a bowl – a little like softened ice cream. If you want the mousse to have a texture more like cream (so that you can dollop it easy onto fresh fruit etc.) all you need to do is to place it in a bowl and use electric beaters (or a stick mixer) to blend – as the heat from the beaters will warm it up.
This vanilla mousse is great to have with fresh fruit as a light breakfast or dessert. It is also fantastic by itself. I often use it as an alternative to vanilla icing (it’s great on cupcakes or cakes).
- 2 x 400ml cans coconut cream
- 1½ tablespoons gelatine powder
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons honey
- Fresh strawberries
- Place coconut cream into a saucepan and place on medium heat.
- Whilst the coconut cream is heating, boil the kettle.
- Place two tablespoons of boiling water into a small mug and add the gelatine powder & stir until well combined (it will form a gel).
- When the coconut cream has heated (ie. just before it starts to boil), add the gelatine mixture and stir for about 5 minutes until well combined.
- Remove saucepan from heat and allow mixture to cool.
- When mixture has cooled place in an airtight container in the fridge to set overnight.
- The next day, you can transfer the mixture into a large bowl and add honey and vanilla extract.
- Use electric beaters or a stick mixer to mix until the mixture resembles a smooth mousse (ie texture like cream).
- Taste the mixture and if it needs to be a little sweeter, add an extra tablespoon of honey and blend.
- You can use the mousse straight away or place in the fridge until needed. If the mousse is too firm for your liking, all you need to do is place into a bowl and mix with beaters or a stick mixer until it softens (as the heat from the mixer will soften it).
- Remove the stalks on the strawberries and place in a bowl or bowls, serve with vanilla mousse on the side.