These Lemon, Poppy & Chia Seed mini cakes are perfect nut-free paleo treats which can be individually wrapped in plastic and stored in the fridge. They have been iced with my Lemon Paleo Mousse.
Lemon, Poppy & Chia Seed mini cakes
These cakes are lovely and are based on coconut flour. So they are gluten free, dairy free and nut free.
Paleo Princess: Paleo Princess
- ½ cup coconut flour
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup honey
- ½ cup coconut milk
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup coconut oil
- ½ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 5 firmly packed tablespoons of lemon zest (preferably use a microplane)
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds (optional *see notes)
- pinch of himalayan salt
- 4 tablespoons white/grey chia seeds
- For glaze:
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 3 tablespoons of water
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees celcius
- Grease and line 7 mini loaf tins (*note, if you do not have mini loaf tins, you can substitute for muffin / cupcake trays)
- Place eggs, honey, coconut milk and water into a bowl and blend with an electric beater (or whisk) until light and fluffy
- Stir in the oil, salt, zest and lemon juice, chia seeds and poppy seeds
- Divide mixture evenly between 6-7 mini loaf tins.
- In a small mug, mix together the glaze ingredients (water and honey)
- Use a pastry brush to brush the glaze over the top of the cakes making sure to use up all of the glaze evenly between the cakes (this gives the cakes more moisture)
- Bake for 25 minutes or until golden.
- When the cakes have cooled, they can be eaten as they are – without icing.
- Alternatively, when the cakes have cooled you can ice them using Paleo Lemon Mousse (note – if the cakes are still a little warm, the mousse will melt – so refrain from icing until the cakes have cooled).