If you are having trouble locating Spaghetti Squash in Australia, please email me and I should be able to help you locate a local seller.
Kale, Bacon & Sun-dried tomato Quiche with vegetable spaghetti crust
A lovely dairy free quiche
Paleo Princess: Paleo Princess
Cuisine: Modern Australian
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 1 teaspoon of italian herbs
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- 2 cups mashed sweet potato
- 1 cup diced bacon
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 4 tablespoons of water
- 8 sun-dried tomatoes, finely sliced or chopped (preferably oil free)
- 7 eggs
- 1 firmly (and I mean firmly) packed cup of shredded kale.
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees celsius
- Cut spaghetti squash in half lengthways and place on a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Place in oven for 40 minutes (or until spaghetti squash is soft to touch)
- Remove from oven and cool.
- Once spaghetti squash has cooled, use a spoon to remove seeds.
- Scrape out the flesh of the spaghetti squash (which resembles spaghetti) into a bowl.
- Add ¼ teaspoon of salt to the spaghetti squash noodles, mix through and allow to sit for 20 minutes (this will help remove moisture from the noodles).
- Squeeze the moisture out of the noodles using your hands, one handful at a time.
- Add italian herbs to the spaghetti squash noodles and mix through.
- Place the spaghetti noodles into a quiche dish and use your fingers to push the spaghetti squash evenly around the dish to form a crust / shell for the quiche.
- Note – if you need more squash go back to the spaghetti squash and see if you can scrape more out as the skin of a squash is very thin and the rest is all noodles. Keep in mind, the crust need only be a thin layer.
- PREPARING THE QUICHE
- Place olive oil in frypan and heat on medium heat.
- Once oil is heated, add bacon and fry until it starts to get crispy then remove from heat and set aside.
- Crack eggs into a large bowl and mix with a blender until light and fluffy
- Add mashed sweet potato and salt to the egg mixture and blend
- Place kale in a food processor and blitz until it is finely chopped.
- Add kale, coconut flour, water, onion powder, bacon and sundried tomato to egg mixture and mix with a spoon until well combined.
- Pour mixture into the quiche dish.
- Place in oven for 30 – 40 minutes (or until it is cooked and starting to turn golden brown)