My beetroot relish is so versatile. It is great on it’s own, can be added to a green salad, served with meat or used as a relish in wraps or sandwiches.
Sweet beetroot relish
This beautiful relish is perfect with beef or used on an open sandwich, deconstructed burger, salads or wraps.
Paleo Princess: Paleo Princess
Cuisine: Modern Australian
- 3 medium-large beetroots
- 3 medium green apples
- 1 red onion, finely sliced
- 1 Tablespoon of olive oil or coconut oil
- 3 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3 Tablespoons water
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- ¼ teaspoon dried chilli seeds
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 Tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 Tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
- Grate the beetroot and green apple and set aside.
- Heat a frypan on medium heat and without adding any oil, add the mustard seeds to the frypan and stir until they begin to pop.
- Once the seeds begin to pop, add oil and onion and stir until the onion is translucent.
- Add grated beetroot and apple and stir until well combined.
- Add water, honey, vinegar, chilli seeds, ground coriander, lemon juice, cinnamon and allspice and stir until well combined then reduce heat to a simmer.
- simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Taste the relish and adjust slightly if needed by adding additional honey (to sweeten) or chilli seeds (if you want a little more kick from the relish).
- Store relish in a mason jar or airtight container in the fridge.