Rhubarb is in season at the moment. Now normally, I would combine rhubarb with apples to create a compote, but this time I tried blackberries and I was not disappointed.
With only a handful or ingredients that get thrown together in the one saucepan, this really is super simple to make.
What are the benefits of making this homemade compote?
- You know all of the ingredients that were used;
- It doesn’t contain any preservatives or artificial sweeteners; and
- once you make it you won’t hesitate to make it again…. because it’s so simple!
This rhubarb and berry compote can be served with coconut yoghurt, dairy free ice-cream, served with pancakes or even enjoyed on its own.
I am personally looking forward to using it when I create my next breakfast bowl by pairing the Rhubarb and Blackberry compote with fresh blueberries, blackberries, pitaya and coconut yoghurt.
- 400 – 450g Fresh Rhubarb stems, roughly chopped into 1cm pieces
- 3 cups frozen blackberries
- ⅔ cup water
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 Tablespoon raw honey
- ½ teaspoon vanilla bean extract (optional)