You can serve this cake at room temperature, but personally I think it slices easier & tastes best when it is cold straight from the fridge.
Paleo Apple & Cinnamon Swirl Cake
A gluten-free, grain free apple tea cake – perfect for an afternoon or mid-morning snack.
Paleo Princess: Paleo Princess
Cuisine: Modern Australian
- APPLE SWIRL MIXTURE
- 3 large green apples, peeled and finely diced
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder (tapioca flour)
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- APPLE TEA CAKE
- ½ cup coconut oil
- ½ cup honey
- ½ cup coconut flour
- ¼ cup almond meal
- ½ cup shredded coconut
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 1 cup almond milk (see notes)
- 5 eggs
- ½ teaspoon himalayan salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place diced apple into a bowl and add one cup of boiling water, two tablespoon honey, one tablespoon ground cinnamon, ½ teaspoon ground cloves, arrowroot powder & place in frypan on medium heat and stir until apple is cooked and mixture has reduced.
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees celsius.
- In a large bowl mix together the eggs, coconut oil and honey until fluffy using electric beaters (or a stick mixer).
- Add coconut flour, shredded coconut, coconut milk, salt, baking powder, baking soda, vanilla extract, almond meal & almond milk
- Grease and line a long loaf tin.
- Pour batter into the loaf tin.
- Using a spoon, place several spoonfuls of apple mixture onto the top of the cake batter and slowly spread the apple mixture so that you can cover the whole top of the cake with approx 1cm of apple mixture.
- Slowly swirl the apple mixture throughout the top ⅓ of the cake mixture (mixing the apple swirl through the cake batter).
- Place an additional few tablespoons of the mixture along the centre of the top of the cake to finish.
- Place in oven and bake for 35 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Once cool, store in the fridge.
- Remove from the fridge and slice when ready to serve.
If you are in Australia, you can use substitute the almond milk with Almond Breeze unsweetened vanilla flavour.