Curcumin is the active ingredient in turmeric which is reported to be one of the top cancer fighting spices.
My Moroccan Pumpkin Soup is a recipe which I designed for those wanting to increase their intake of curcumin.
Increasing your absorption of curcumin
Unfortunately, curcumin is reported to have a low bio-availbility (ie. it is not easily absorbed by our bodies). After a little research, I found many articles and reports which conclude that in order to increase the bio-availbility of curcumin (Ie. the amount that our bodies absorb) by up to 2000 times, you should:
1) use ground turmeric
2) mix it with piperine (found in black pepper)
3) mix it with a healthy oil / fat (ie. such as coconut oil or olive oil) so that it is quickly absorbed into our blood stream; and
4) heat (warm) it up.
My Moroccan Pumpkin soup ticks all of these boxes – it uses ground turmeric which is mixed with black pepper and is heated in coconut oil.
I hope you enjoy this soup as much as I do.
- 3 cups of roasted pumpkin (excluding the pumpkin skins)
- 4 cups of vegetable stock
- 400ml coconut cream
- 1 Tablespoon ground turmeric
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ tablespoon ground coriander
- ½ tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground himalayan pink salt
- 4 Tablespoons coconut oil (or olive oil)
- For serving (optional extras)
- A handful of coriander leaves, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup slivered almonds, toasted
- In a large bowl, combine the vegetable stock, pumpkin, salt, paprika, cumin, cinnamon and ground coriander then set aside.
- In a small bowl mix together the black pepper and turmeric.
- Place the oil in a large saucepan and place on medium heat until the coconut oil has heated.
- Once the oil has heated, add the turmeric & black pepper mixture and stir until dissolved in the oil (this wont take long).
- Once dissolved, wait a few moments (approx 10 seconds) then add the vegetable stock & pumpkin mixture and stir until well combined.
- Stir occasionally until the mixture starts to boil, then remove from heat.
- Add the coconut cream and use a stick mixer (or food processor) to blend until nice and smooth.
- Serve warm. Enjoy x M
- Serving suggestion- serve topped with a sprinkle of slivered almonds and freshly chopped coriander.