Parsnips and turnips are not exactly mainstream vegetables in Australia. You can tell this because even the mainstream supermarkets only display a small number of parsnips and turnips for sale.
If you are not familiar with parsnips they have an unusual taste & for someone like me (who rarely eats parsnips) it can be hard to get used to.
Parsnip and Turnip Puree looks exactly like mashed potato. This version is healthier than the traditional mashed potato because no butter, milk or cream is needed!
It’s great on its own or alternatively, you can place it on the bottom of your bowl and top it with your favourite curry or casserole (as an alternative to rice). Enjoy x M
- 2 cloves of roasted garlic (click here for how to roast garlic)
- 150g parsnips
- 300g turnips
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ⅛ teaspoon of ground white pepper*
- ½ teaspoon of ground himalayan salt
- Peel the parsnips and turnips.
- Cut the parsnips & slice the turnips into medium chunks and place in a pot
- Fill the pot with water so that the parsnips & turnips are covered
- Place on high heat on the stove and allow to boil until turnips are soft (check that they are soft by prodding with a fork).
- Remove pot from stove and drain water.
- Place the parsnips, turnip, garlic cloves, salt, pepper and olive oil in a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Add more salt and pepper (if necessary) to taste.