You won’t spend much time cooking or washing up when you make this banana bread because you mix all of the ingredients (and bake the bread) in a mug – Brilliant!
The bread will rise when cooking so it’s a good idea to use a large mug. After the mug is removed from the microwave the bread will sink down into the mug a little and you can choose whether to eat the banana bread straight from the mug or tip it out onto a plate to serve.
For a slight variation – you add a tablespoon of shredded coconut to the mixture at Step 4. The photo below is the cross section of the Date & Walnut Banana Bread with one tablespoon of shredded coconut – you will see that it looks divine!
I would take another photo of it but I can’t because I’ve already eaten it – it’s hard to resist.
It tastes fantastic by itself but if you are feeling indulgent you can tip it out onto a plate and serve with butter & honey.
- 1 egg
- ½ banana (preferably overripe)
- 1½ Tablespoons honey
- 2 Tablespoons coconut milk
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 2 Tablespoons coconut flour
- 2 Tablespoons of walnuts, roughly chopped
- 1 dried date finely diced
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- Crack the egg into a large mug and whisk with a fork
- Add banana and use fork to mash it & mix it through.
- Add honey and coconut milk
- Add coconut flour, salt, cinnamon & baking powder and mix thoroughly to ensure no lumps
- Add in walnuts and diced date and mix until well combined.
- Place mug in microwave and heat on high for 2 minutes.
- Remove from microwave carefully and allow to cool (approx 5 mins).
- Eat directly from the mug or alternatively, tip the cake out onto a plate, slice it and serve with butter & honey.